Nonprofit Organization Analysis
Final Team Project: 400 points total (200 points paper; 200 points presentation)
Step 1: MISSION AND VISION
Write a 1-page discussion of the mission statement of a Kalamazoo-based nonprofit arts organization of your choice, addressing the question: “Does mission matter?” In responding, address three topics (and include a copy of the mission statement):
- Is the mission specific enough in giving guidance for the actual objectives and activities of the organization?
- What is the relationship between mission and organizational design (business model)?
- How would you improve the mission statement, and why?
Step 2: STAKEHOLDER ANALYSIS
Using the same nonprofit organization as in step 1 above, draft a 2-page stakeholder analysis, using these three steps:
- Using the existing mission statement and the organization’s structure and operations, identify the various stakeholders and their specific ‘stake,’ and identify their degree of influence on the organization.
- Select the three most influential stakeholders, describe their relationship, and the conflict potential about the organization’s mission.
- Looking at the organizational governance structure (to the extent to which you can understand it from the material you have), are there particular stakeholders that have little or no voice? Is this a problem, and if so, how would you fix it?
Step 3: HISTORY
Using the Kalamazoo Gazette and the Kalamazoo Public Library as your primary sources, research and write a 1-2 page history of the organization. You may be able to schedule interviews to research some of this material, but the primary objective in constructing this history is to draw from existing newspaper accounts. How did the organization begin? What were some of its early activities compared to what the organization focuses on now?
Steps 4-6 can be placed together into one 3-4 page document:
Step 4: BOUNDARIES
Identify the boundaries of the organization: who do they collaborate with, what provides their identity and value? What do they do versus what do they NOT do? Where are those lines drawn, and why?
Step 5: ENGAGEMENT
How does this organization work with volunteers, membership, and philanthropic foundations? Who do they desire to attract into these roles, and why?
Step 6: MANAGEMENT
How is effectiveness, leadership, and performance defined for this nonprofit institution?
Step 7: CONCLUSION
Examining each section (mission, stakeholders, history, boundaries, engagement, and management) write a 3-4 page conclusion that considers this organization’s weaknesses and strengths in the context of its future development. Consider what this organization may encounter in the next 5, 10, or 15 years. Are the elements in place for sustained growth? If not, what are some potential problems your team foresees, and what recommendations would you make?